lunedì 10 novembre 2014

From random acts of racism to freedom

The word racism has always scared me to death. Since I learnt its meaning I’ve always been able to recognize it, unveil its true nature despite it being hidden in refined, beautiful words. Racism sneaks into people’s statements leaving acute listeners flabbergasted. I remember being invited to a party by one of my highly educated friends. He started talking about one of our common friends’ skin colour and ended out calling him “negro”. I felt the anger building up in my stomach and told him, in front of all the other lawyers, engineers, scholars and graduates of any kind, who were laughing at his bad joke, that he was not only offending him, he was also offending me, being a mixed race man, and all the people of colour in the world as he had just spoken as a racist. Suddenly they all stopped laughing, a gloomy silence fell over the room and he pointed out that he was not offending me, as I was like “them”, he was just making fun of our common friend. I understood then that he didn’t have a clue of what equality meant, of what black people had gone through, of what history should have taught us all. I experienced racism on my own skin and got an idea of how rooted it can be in people’s minds, thoughts, hearts, lives.
Here’s an article written by Rebecca Carrol, a black, American journalist, writer, editor who got tired of newsroom racism and made a drastic choice. She chose freedom.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento